Sweet and Spicy Sesame Chicken turns up the heat in your kitchen and is scrumptious over a bed of cauliflower rice stir fry! An easy weeknight dinner that doesn’t disappoint and can easily be heated and enjoyed the next day as leftovers for lunch.
When I choose dinner, I want to put a nutritious and filling dinner on our plates. This Sweet and Spicy Sesame Chicken over cauliflower stir fry does just that. I want to go back for seconds every single time. However, my husband has seconds every time. His portion control is thrown out the window when I make this for dinner. I enjoy my seconds the next day as lunch at work. So let’s dive into this recipe!
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Chili powder
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- soy sauce
- Sesame Seed Oil
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Cauliflower Rice
- Green Beans
- Green Peppers
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Sesame Chicken
First, clean and slice 2 chicken breasts in to 1 inch chunks. In a separate mixing bowl combine: flour, chili powder, lemon pepper seasoning and sift together with chicken to thoroughly coat. This coating is not meant to be thick, just enough to add texture. When finished coating, heat a large stove top pan on medium heat, drizzle with olive oil, and simmer the chicken constantly to cook all sides evenly.
Next, while the chicken is cooking, combine sesame seed oil, soy sauce, sriracha sauce, hot sauce, and sweet chili sauce to make the sweet and spicy sauce for chicken.
Next, the cauliflower rice stir fry. The vegetables will keep your feeling full and satisfied with this meal. In a separate stove top pan, heat on medium heat and add carrots, green beans, broccoli, and green peppers. These take a bit longer to soften than cauliflower rice. Let vegetables simmer for about 10 minutes then add the cauliflower rice. When the cauliflower rice is ready to enjoy, it will be tender and fluffy.
Lastly, place a lid over the vegetables to keep warm and finish the chicken. Chicken should be golden brown and ready for the sweet and spicy sauce. I love a thick sticky Asian sauce, so poor the sauce over the chicken and stir consistently for 3-5 minutes. It will thicken a little and be sticky yummy goodness over the cauliflower rice stir fry.
Leftovers for Lunch
You already know this dish is perfect to take to work the next day! I recommend the your microwave safe to go containers for this one. Make a bed of cauliflower rice, then smother with the Sweet and Spicy Sesame Chicken. Heat in the microwave at work for 2 minutes and enjoy! It’s just as good leftover for lunch as it was the night before! YUM!
More Healthier Chinese Recipes
Sweet and Spicy Sesame Chicken
- 1 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 1 c Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil
- 1/4 c Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 2 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 bag Cauliflower Rice
- 1 c Carrots
- 1/2 c Broccoli
- 1/2 c Green Beans
- 1/2 c Green Peppers
- Combine the flour, chili powder, and lemon pepper seasoning together in a mixing bowl and sift the 1 inch chicken pieces to get a thorough coating on chicken.
- Heat a large stove top pan on low heat and add chicken and let simmer for 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring consistently.
- In a small mixing bowl combine: soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, sesame seed oil, sriracha sauce, and hot sauce and mix together. Set this aside until chicken is golden brown.
- In a separate stove top pan, heat on medium heat and add carrots, green peppers, broccoli, and green beans. Stir consistently until vegetables are tender. This took about 12-15 minutes to become tender.
- Add the entire bag of cauliflower rice to vegetable pan and simmer for 3-5 minutes. This will make the cauliflower fluffy just like rice.
- Once the chicken is golden brown, add the spicy sesame sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. This will slightly thicken the sauce.
- Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice