This Spicy Sesame Chicken is the perfect dinner to smother in sauce over a bed of cauliflower rice and vegetables! This classic stir fry recipe gets a spicy makeover that more delicious than the traditional seasoned stir fry. It is easy to make and perfect for leftovers to take to work the next day.
Let’s be real here, we know everyone is lining up at your local Asian restaurant for their fried chicken smothered or seasoned steak over a bed of rice. It is addicting. We get it! This dish substitutes the deep fried, greasy chicken pieces and overly salted steak pieces for sauteed chicken and the white sticky rice for cauliflower rice and extra bonus veggies.
To begin creating this favorite recipe, you will want two to three chicken breasts, cleaned and cut into 1 inch chunks. This recipe was enough for 2 people and for lunch the next day. In a separate mixing bowl combine: Flour, Chili Powder, Lemon Pepper Seasoning and sift together with chicken to thoroughly coat. This step is done to give it a little coating on the outside of the chicken. It is not a thick breading, just an added texture and flavor. Heat a large stove top pan on low heat, drizzle with olive oil, and simmer the chicken constantly turning to keep from getting too dark on one side.
While the chicken is cooking, mix up your sauce. You will need: Sesame Seed Oil, Soy Sauce, Sriracha Sauce, Hot Sauce, and Sweet Chili Sauce.
In a separate stove top pan, heat on medium heat and add your extra vegetables. The carrots, green beans, broccoli, and green peppers take a little longer to soften, so you want to start those before you add the cauliflower rice. .
Simmer the vegetables for about 10 minutes then add the cauliflower rice.
The cauliflower rice will tenderize and be a fluffy rice texture after 3-5 minutes of stirring consistently. Place a lid on the vegetables and turn the heat off to keep them warm while finishing the chicken.
Once the chicken is a perfect golden brown on all sides, add the spicy sesame sauce. If you want the sauce to be more of a runny texture, then heat for about 1 to 2 minutes then serve. I like my sauce to thicken just a little before serving over the cauliflower rice, so stir consistently for about 3-5 minutes. This will thicken the sauce just a little bit.
Serve by making your bed of cauliflower rice on your plate and smothering with spicy sesame sauce and chicken.
Spicy Sesame Chicken over Cauliflower Rice
- 1 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 1 c Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil
- 1/4 c Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 2 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 bag Cauliflower Rice
- 1 c Carrots
- 1/2 c Broccoli
- 1/2 c Green Beans
- 1/2 c Green Peppers
- Combine the flour, chili powder, and lemon pepper seasoning together in a mixing bowl and sift the 1 inch chicken pieces to get a thorough coating on chicken.
- Heat a large stove top pan on low heat and add chicken and let simmer for 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring consistently.
- In a small mixing bowl combine: soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, sesame seed oil, sriracha sauce, and hot sauce and mix together. Set this aside until chicken is golden brown.
- In a separate stove top pan, heat on medium heat and add carrots, green peppers, broccoli, and green beans. Stir consistently until vegetables are tender. This took about 12-15 minutes to become tender.
- Add the entire bag of cauliflower rice to vegetable pan and simmer for 3-5 minutes. This will make the cauliflower fluffy just like rice.
- Once the chicken is golden brown, add the spicy sesame sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. This will slightly thicken the sauce.
- Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice