Meatball subs are a classic and must be made to perfection. The best ones are full of all the best flavors when the meatballs are made from fresh burger, rather then frozen and seasoned well. We have found a way to smother these meatball subs in onions and peppers, use a whole wheat roll, and enjoy a lean turkey burger meatball.
These subs are so delicious they are perfect for any easy dinner night in the oven, or a crock pot meal to feed the party! They are so versatile that you can make them with turkey burger, beef burger, or chicken burger and I am positive they would still taste absolutely delicious.
Dinner in 45 minutes is important when you are busy parents, a stay at home mom or dad, or working parents that do all they can to get a healthy wholesome dinner on the table for their kids. That dinner happens just before running out the door to sports games and delivering all the fund raiser food they sold this month! It can be exhausting. Why not make dinner easy?
All you need is, turkey burger, minced garlic, onion powder, fresh onions, poblano pepper, spaghetti sauce, mozzerella cheese, salt and pepper and whole wheat rolls.
Mix together the turkey burger, pepper, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in a mixing bowl.
Mix your ingredients well together then roll into 1 inch meatballs. Heat your stove top skillet, drizzle with olive oil, and brown each side of your meatballs. Once your meatballs are browned on both sides, smother with Poblano peppers and onions and bake in the oven covered for 25 minutes. I use a cast iron pan because starting a recipe on the stove top then placing in the oven is an effortless one pan dinner then!
After 25 minutes, remove the meatballs from the over, uncover, and smother with spaghetti sauce
Bake uncovered for 10 minutes to thoroughly heat the sauce. These last 10 minutes, take this time to spread butter and pesto on the whole wheat rolls and bake for 5 – 10 minutes to make them toasty and warm.
Remove from rolls and meatballs from oven and smother with mozzarella cheese and enjoy!
Smothered Turkey Meatball Sub
- 1 pound Turkey Burger
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 jar Spaghetti Sauce (your favorite)
- 1 Pablano Pepper
- Sliced Onion
- Butter & Pesto
- Whole Wheat Rolls
- Mozzarella Cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey burger, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Roll meatballs into 1 inch balls and brown on each side in a hot stove top pan.
- Once browned on both sides, smother with poblano and onion pieces, cover, and bake on 350 for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and smother with spaghetti sauce and bake for 10 minutes to thoroughly heat sauce.
- Spread pesto and butter on the whole wheat rolls and toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove rolls and meatballs from heat, cover in mozzarella cheese and serve!