Do you need a smoker friendly appetizer recipe? Smoked Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Sausage and Cream Cheese recipe is just what you need! A warm gooey cheese center bursting with flavor that one per person will not simply do!
Portobello mushrooms are versatile! They can be stuffed and cooked multiple ways. You can smoke, oven bake, or grill. My personal favorite is the smoker. That is how these smoked portobello mushrooms stuffed with sausage and cream cheese were made. The smoker leaves the cheese firm. The smoker benefit is, you can over-stuff portobello mushrooms and they will not melt over!
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- Neufchatel Cream Cheese
- Green Onions
- Hot Sausage
How To Make Smoked Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Sausage and Cream Cheese
First, combine neufchatel cream cheese and chopped green onions in a mixing bowl. Second, heat a stove top frying pan on medium heat and thoroughly cook the ground hot sausage. Once fully cooked, strain excess grease from pan. Then, cover cream cheese mixture with the warm sausage. This order of mixing will warm the cream cheese and make it easier to mix by hand. If you have a mixer, add all ingredients together and blend.
Third, wash and dry the baby portobello mushrooms. Remove the stem to make room for cream cheese sausage stuffing. I personally remove a little extra than needed. I love an overly stuffed mushroom.
Lastly, fill each mushroom to desired level and prepare for smoker. I love options so let’s talk about the different cooking methods.
- Smoker: Smoke on grates or in a cast iron pan. I chose cast iron pan to be sure there would be no mess. Smoke on 225 degrees for 30 minutes. If you have larger mushrooms, just be sure to check them before you remove them from heat. They should be fork tender.
- Oven: Line baking sheet with stuffed portobello mushrooms and bake on 350 for 10 minutes. These will be melty! Be sure to have them on a baking sheet or in a cast iron pan.
Pro-Tip: Make sure you prepare enough for the crowd. It is easy to eat multiple of these portobello mushrooms stuffed with sausage and cream cheese. It falls into the rule of, once you have one, you cannot stop.
When to Prep
Portobello Mushrooms stuffed with sausage and cream cheese doubles as a delicious and convenient appetizer. They can be made a head of time! Just simply, prep, stuff and refrigerate! When you are ready, pull them from refrigerator and toss put in smoker!
Additionally, these can be frozen! If the party you are preparing for is a week or more away. Prep and freeze! Be sure to freeze in an air tight container. Remove from freezer the day before. Line a baking sheet and place in refrigerator to thaw naturally. Cook and Serve!
Not a fan of hot sausage? Swap it for salt and pepper sausage or Italian sausage. This will take the spice out.
If you are lactose intolerant and cream cheese is an issue, I have an excellent remedy for that. Daiya Cream Cheeze is an excellent choice! I use it in all my recipes where cream cheese is an ingredient! Using Daiya Cream Cheeze will not compromise the delicious taste of these Smoked Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Sausage and Cream Cheese.
Smoked Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Sausage and Cream Cheese
- 1/2 pound Hot Sausage
- 4 oz Neufchatel Cream Cheese
- 1/4 c Green Onions
- 1 package Small Portebello Mushrooms
- Heat stove top pan and thoroughly cook hot sausage
- Combine Hot Sausage, Cream Cheese, and Green Onions together
- Wash, dry, and remove portebello mushroom stems
- Stuff Mushrooms with mixture
- Smoke: 225 Degrees for 30 minutes or until tenderBake: 350 Degrees for 10 minutes or until tender
Can’t Get Enough Mushrooms??