Chickpeas, Red Onion, and Tomato Salad is a salad worth taking to every BBQ you attend this season.
Summer is my favorite time of the year. I love the family cookouts, the softball games, and sitting beside the pool all day. When planning to enjoy a cookout or lay by the pool all day, having a healthy dish or healthy snack to enjoy is always a must. Growing up when we didn’t have a worry in the world in the Summer time, my mom would deliver Stromboli, pizza, and chicken wings to the pool on her lunch break. Well from 12 to 26 my healthy lifestyle doesn’t approve of every Summer day spent by the pool eating take out from our home town favorites any more. A delicious salad with fresh cut vegetables and fruit is what I consider to be a win enjoying beside the pool now. Chickpea, Red Onion, and Tomato Salad is now what I know I should always prepare for lazy days by the pool and family cookouts.
What I love most about this salad is it refrigerates great so you can portion it out and meal prep for your week ahead or if you are going on a trip and want to be able to take something that can be kept in a cooler. In just 1/2 cup of cooked Chickpeas there are 7.5 grams of protein, 6.5 grams of dietary fibers adding these to any salad gives you that additional protein your body needs to help keep you feeling full during your busy day.
Chickpea Salad is extremely easy to make and can be ready to eat in 15 minutes. You will want to start with dicing your onions and place in a small bowl of ice cold water for 10 minutes. Soaking onions in cold water will make the onion more crisp but also take the strong flavor away from the onion. You can also soak the onion in vinegar. Instead of becoming more crisp, the onion will become soft in vinegar, lose the strong taste, and be more sweet than when in water.
While your onion soaks, you can slice your Roma tomatoes and jalapenos. I love using Roma tomatoes because they are more meatier with less runny seeds inside. Once you have the rest of your vegetables prepared, you can combine the remaining ingredients and the onions. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Chickpea, Red Onion, and Tomato Salad is — yes it is delicious just the way it is, but you can add so many other vegetables to it like cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, or even carrots. If you want to add additional seasonings, I recommend using some of an Italian seasoning packet. Vegetable salad additions are pretty much endless, even if you do not like the jalapenos, go ahead and leave them out or substitute with a green pepper that is less spicy or a mild pepper. If you add additional vegetables or take away your least favorite ones in this recipe, this will be a recipe that you and your family will enjoy for many cookouts to come.
Chickpea, Red Onion, and Tomato Salad
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion from a small red onion
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 small Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 Jalapenos diced seeds removed
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 4 stalks green onions diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- Place the diced onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Set to the side cover with a paper to to absorb the excess water.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl and toss well.
- Add the onion and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon, salt, and pepper, if necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Toss well before serving.