What is your favorite deep fried appetizer at a restaurant? I could name several because I am a sucker for almost all of them. If I had to choose 2 for the rest of my life it would be deep fried pickles and cheese sticks. I will eat pickles just about any way. However, I know and you know all those greasy appetizers are just not good for us, so we find ways for alternatives to taste great!
These are just some of the flavors I consider to be ways to really enjoy the entire jar in one sitting.
- Homemade Horseradish Pickles
- Jalopeno Pickles
- Spicy Dill Pickle
However, if you are in search of the perfect football or hockey game appetizer to please the entire party, breading pickles and air frying is a perfect healthy alternative to a delicious typically greasy appetizer!
Only 3 ingredients for the pickles and 20 minutes or less depending on how much of these bite size slices of heaven you are making. My pickles preference for this recipe is Claussen Pickles. You can find them in the refrigerator section with the pre-packed deli meats and cheeses. I prefer these pickles because they are firm. You can use slices or halves. For this recipe I used halves and cut them into thicker slices.
What you need:
- Claussen Pickles
- Egg Whites
- Panko Bread Crumbs ( I used garlic & herb)
A good dipping sauce must not go missed. Pairing these perfectly air fried pickles with a spicy sour cream is the way to go.
What you will need for the sauce:
- Hot Sauce ( I used Franks)
- Sour Cream
- Pickle Juice
- Chili Powder
Let me first say, you can make your pickles in spears, chips, or in chunks. They will taste amazing either way. Take the pickle and dip in the egg whites, then roll in panko bread crumbs. Be sure to get the entire pickle coated. Place on air fryer cooking rack or in the basket. Repeat coating steps until all desired pickles are covered and ready for baking. Turn Air Fryer to 400 degrees and bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Air Fryer
- 4 Pickles
- 1 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs Garlic & Herb
- 1 cup Egg Whites
- 1 tbsp Franks Red Hot
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Pickle Juice
- 1 tbsp Garlic Juice (I used from minced garlic jar)
- 1 dash Cumin
- 1 dash Chili Powder
- Pat the pickles dry with paper towel
- Keep pickles in spears or slice to thickness desired
- Coat pickles in egg wash
- Roll and coat evenly in Panko Crumbs
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 till all pickles are ready to cook
- Bake on 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown
- Prepare dipping sauce by mixing sour cream, hot sauce, garlic juice, pickle juice, cumin, and chili powder in bowl and stir until combined.
- Remove pickles from air fryer and enjoy!