15 Minute Spicy Chickpea Tomato Refrigerator Salad is worth having with any meal! Ditch the traditional salad and take this to the next party. Need lunch the next day? If so, chill this yummy chopped salad. It is loaded with protein to keep you full and vegetables for a nutritious filling lunch.
This spicy chilled chopped bowl just reminds me of warm summer days. The 15 Minute Spicy Chickpea Tomato Refrigerator Salad is a crunchy, flavorful salad that doesn’t take much effort to make but serves as a delicious side.
Are you planning on making this chopped Spicy Chickpea Tomato Refrigerator Salad? Check out the ingredient list. It’s pantry friendly, with some fresh vegetables included.
- Red onion
- 2 small Roma tomatoes
- 2 Jalapeños
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Fresh parsley
- Green onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
Do you have 15 minutes? If so, this Spicy Chickpea Tomato chopped dish is quick and easy. Start with dicing the onions. Once diced, place in a small bowl of ice cold water for 10 minutes. By doing this step it will make the onions more crisp and remove the strong flavor. Soaking the onions in vinegar is also an option. However, this step will make the onion become soft, less strong, and become sweet.
While your onion soaks, slice the Roma tomatoes and jalapenos. Roma tomatoes are great for this Spicy Chickpea Tomato Refrigerator salad because they have more flesh and less juice. Combine together, red onion, chickpeas, Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, parsley, and green onions. Once all together, add extra virgin olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt, pepper, and sugar. Complete a final mix of all ingredients, then chill, and serve! You won’t regret spending 15 minutes making this spicy chopped dish!
15 Minute Spicy Chickpea Tomato Refrigerator Salad is absolutely delicious but there may be ingredients you want to change. Therefore, here are some changes I recommend. If jalapenos are too spicy, use a Poblano pepper. Poblano peppers are crunchy but mild. They will add flavor without the spice.
Rather than a substitution, add a cucumber. They taste great in salads with onions and tomatoes. Another flavor addition I recommend would be to sprinkle some Italian Seasoning packet and then mix. This will enhance the flavor of this recipe.
Additional Vegetable Appetizers
15 Minute Spicy Chickpea Tomato Refrigerator Salad
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion from a small red onion
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 small Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 Jalapenos diced seeds removed
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 4 stalks green onions diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- Place the diced onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Set to the side cover with a paper to to absorb the excess water.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl and toss well.
- Add the onion and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon, salt, and pepper, if necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Toss well before serving.